About This Site
This is the Jackson County INGenWeb site. The GenWeb Project consists
of a group of volunteers working together to provide free genealogy
websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of
the United States. This Project is non-commercial and fully committed
to providing genealogy web access at no charge to the user. The project
is independent of any genealogical society or other organization. Denise Wells,
SCIndianaGenWeb@gmail.com is the State Coordinator; Lena Harper, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Jeff Kemp, email@example.com are the Assistant State Coordinators.
My name is Joe Ogle, and welcome to the still-under-reconstruction Jackson County site. Feel free to drop me a note about anything at all regarding the site at JacksonINGenWeb@gmail.com.
Getting around the site is pretty easy, using the navigation bar to the left. Vital and Legal Records each have an individual page by category - births, marriages, deaths, etc. On these pages you will find information stored here on the site that has been contributed by researchers of various Jackson County families. You'll also find links to outside sites where there is information specific to Jackson County research in those categories - as an example, the Cemeteries page will also provide you links to Jackson County cemeteries on the popular Findagrave site. Resources includes history information, general genealogy sites at the county, state, and national levels, digitized books, online tools such as translators, SOUNDEX calculators, and the like. Families brings a wonderful collection of submitted family trees, photos, articles, and etc about Jackson County families. The Connections links will help put you in touch with other people researching surnames that you're researching, give you the opportunity to add your name to that list, give you guidelines and a form for submitting information, and I'll be posting to a blog from time to time to help you get to know me and my own Jackson County roots a little bit better. Lastly, Other GenWeb Sites will navigate you to our neighboring counties as well as the state and national GenWeb sites.
About external sites: Any sites that we provide links have free content that we feel might be useful to people researching Jackson County ancestors. Some of these sites may have a mix of free and paid content. In providing links to these sites, we do so in believing that the free content is of some relevance, and in no way are we endorsing or promoting their chargeable services. Also, many sites offer advertising as a way to offset the costs of hosting their free content. A link to such a site is not to be construed as an endorsement of any of that site's advertisers. If you discover any content or advertising on an external site that is offensive in some way, please let us know and we will review.
Above all - contribute! All of the GenWeb sites depend on folks just like you sharing information that you've found in your research. I encourage you all to email me with info you may have as I'm working on how to best catalog and organize this info for everyone to access.
What's New, You Ask?
The Jackson County site is undergoing a redesign and general cleanup - making sure all of our links still work, validating contact info for our contributors, etc. Let us know how you like the new look! In the meantime, pardon the inconsistent look as you navigate from new-style pages to older style that haven't yet had their facelift.
- 3 Aug 2015 Revised the Census page. It now directs you to formatted queries at FamilySearch by township/enumeration district.
- 16 Mar 2014 Short section converted - Wills and Probate. Awesome opportunity for somebody to get to some microfilm
and do some transcription work. You? Maybe? Please let us know!
- 14 Mar 2014 Nothing like following up inactivity with a flurry, no? Check out the updated Mysteries and Brick Walls
section. There wasn't a great deal of information to start with, and for a couple of requestors I have no current emails. Now
there's no doubt in my mind that a number of you are challenged with a twig or two on your tree. Why not share the pain
and maybe get to a solution?
- 11 Mar 2014 Updated the First Families and Trees section - oh, my what good information is in here! Not only tree/lineage
info, but some fascinating documents have been scanned and submitted to us as well. I have personally added some family info
that pertains to my own research of the early German Catholic settlers, families include Fox, Kirsch, Olinger/Oliger, Moritz,
and Reinhart, all new info not found on the "old" site. It's a banquet - feast!
- 12 Jan 2014 First of all, apologies for the lack of updates in the recent months. My professional life has taken a large uptick in activity in recent months (always a good thing!). Also, the blog ended up being a bad idea that generated literally thousands of spam emails, and as a result some emails were missed - but not lost. I am in the process of answering emails I have received since September. And the blog has been taken down. Look forward to the re-do of the First Families and Trees section being complete yet this month. Again - I thank everyone for their patience!
- 25 Jul 2013 I have a blog! There are a couple of posts - one tells you a bit more about me, another is on oral histories and digital media. I'll be adding entries infrequently as thoughts pop up while doing work for the Project and other genealogical stuff. You can get to it via the navigation bar under Connections, or you can also click here.
- 3 Jul 2013 Found an article, "Jackson County Prior to 1850" from a 1914 edition of Indiana Magazine of History at archive.org. You can read online or download your own copy here.
- 2 Jul 2013 The transcription of the original obituaries is done. What you'll find is a very high concentration of obits from the years 2002 and 2006. We need more. Please consider volunteering some time to collect and transcribe. We also have some new birth records, again from the parish register of St. Ambrose Catholic Church. Right now we have added the years 1890-1900. Will probably stop about 1915 or so.
- 11 May 2013 Obituary transcriptions are into surnames beginning with "P". Also transcribed marriage records from St. Ambrose Catholic Church from the 1860s through 1913. These include witnesses - where readable.
- 26 Mar 2013 It's been a bit since we've checked in. Been working on the re-do of the obituary page. Along with it, there's been some transcribing/summarization of the existing obits, which you'll see on the page. As of this writing, we're through surnames beginning with the letter "L" (over 500 to this point). What's been contributed in the past are primarily from the years 2002 and 2006. There's obviously many, many more - please contribute what you have. The "new" obit page is here. I'm transcribing these things daily, so if you're looking for something later in the alphabet, hang with us!
- 14 Jan 2013 Along with the facelift, a fairly extensive review of our cemeteries is complete. We've added links to almost every Jackson County cemetery in addition to validating the information stored here.
- 29 Dec 2012 Vitals are now complete with the addition of the WPA Death Index data. A prior volunteer had submitted in the late 1990s - over 10,000 records! Also added some external references for birth/marriage/death records on the main Vital Statistics page.
- 22 Dec 2012 Added marriages to the new format and have added links to the Vital Statistics page. You can produce a list of marriages sorted by either brides' or grooms' surnames. Enjoy!
- 9 Dec 2012 New Births page. This is still lacking some info for offsite links that I hope to have updated in the next couple of days. If you follow the links to the Submitted Births page, you'll find a number of early records from St Ambrose Catholic Church in Seymour, with many more to come!
- 8 Dec 2012 New Surnames page. For each one of these names, one or more persons has indicated a wish to communicate/exchange information with others researching these same families. If you're interested in making a connection, this is the place to go.
- 9 Sep 2012 New Submissions page, including instructions/guidelines for submitting information to Jackson County GenWeb.
- 1 Sep 2012 Deployed new-look home page and About Jackson County page.
Last modified: August 03 2015